From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xdm is 'stopping'
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 12:10:21
1 On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 20:14 -0500, Peter Kelly wrote:
2 > Holas,
3 >
4 > Two days ago I updated the nvidia drivers, so I killed gdm and restarted xdm
5 > to reload the newer modules.
6 >
7 > Problem is, it looks like xdm never restarted.
8 >
9 > root ~ $ /etc/init.d/xdm status
10 > * status: stopping
11 >
12 > root ~ $ /etc/init.d/xdm stop
13 > * ERROR: xdm is already stopping.
14 >
15 > rc-status gives
16 > xdm [ stopping ]
17 >
18 > Everything *seems* to work fine, but then there's that silly 'stopping'
19 > comment that doesn't google very well. Anyone seen this, or have an idea?
20
21 dunno, maybe the init script got confused. Maybe a module couldn't get
22 unloaded and there's a "please reboot" kernel message sitting somewhere
23 on one of your terminals (it happens :)
24
25 If init.d/xdm got confused, just `ps aux | grep gdm` to make sure it's
26 not there, `killall Xorg` if you like, and then: `/etc/init.d/xdm zap`
27 to bring it back in line. Then try starting it again.
28
29 HTH,
33 I think that's easier to read. Pardon me. Less difficult to read.
34 -- Larry Wall in <199710120226.TAA06867@××××.org>
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list