From: Tim Igoe <tim@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: More memory?
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:22:52
1 Grant wrote:
2
3 >>SWAP is not necessarily a bad thing. It is mealy a simple way of moving
4 >>unused code from memory so that it can be better used, ie disk caching.
5 >>
6 >>Swap can be bad if you have insufficient memory to run your processes.
7 >>
8 >>If your system has lots of disk activity, the OS will assign memory to
9 >>cache the disk. This may where you memory is going.
10 >>
11 >>You say that your system is using perl. What else? Apache? MySQL/PgSQL?
12 >>etc ...
16 >I'm running interchange (http://www.icdevgroup.org), apache2,
17 >mod_perl2, and mysql. I run courier-imap and postfix for email, but
18 >I'm the only user. I use php only for squirrelmail.
22 Just a check here, it is the -latest- version of Squirrelmail. There was
23 one version that would cause my server to use -all- its RAM and swap
24 (and eventually just reboot) when i clicked reply (memory leak
25 somewhere) which has since been sorted.
26
27 Just a thought.
28
29 Tim