From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Virtualbox-guest-additions-4.3.24 breaks 3D acceleration in linux guests (?)
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 16:24:14
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > > Downgrading Virtualbox to 4.3.20-r1 fixes the problem on one ~amd64
5 > > > machine but, of course, not the other one <sigh>.
6
7 > > (not the xf86-*
8
9 > File a bug at b.g.o.
10 > what you describe has much potential to trip up many people
11
12 Well, I have to concur with what I did not prune out of this thread.
13 My recent experience with xf86* on my amd64 and the 3.18.6 kernel
14 had me reading quite a few horror stories of others; finally I
15 found a solution, that is more a result of "marathonic" efforts
16 as opposed to finding the correct nuggets of information.
17
18 I.E. in this area I'm willing to bet there are ample bugs
19 and things that have been modified or fixed, but the knowledge
20 is just not disseminated. I filed no bugs because clarity
21 never appeared as to the exact problem(s).
22
23 For example in /lib/firmware/radeon I have these relevant drivers
24 some are lower case some are uppercase and my card requires the (V|v)erde*
25 drivers and at least one "TAHITI" driver..... In fact the inter
26 relationships on some kernel options are there, but are not, or
27 are "poorly", defined. I think this is a result of the quickened
28 turn_around speed of the kernel versions. Quality was sacrificed,
29 imho.
30
31 I found no documentation as to why. It's just a mess, imho. I could
32 list dozens of things, but the impression I got was (dev)folks are
33 hacking at this, but it's not cleaned up because there is little
34 clarity for (kernel) devs or other subsequent development efforts.
35 I sure hope I'm wrong. ymmv.
38 James