From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to keep my system from (nearly) freezing?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 19:01:16
1 On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 01:53:49PM +0100, Helmut Jarausch wrote
2
3 > sometime I have some memory hungry ebuilds in the background, when
4 > I start (e.g.) Chromium which needs very much memory if you have a
5 > lot of open tabs.
6 >
7 > In that case my system nearly freezes. I cannot even kill chrome.
8 > What can I do in that case. (Remote login doesn't work either)
9
10 You may not like this answer, but here goes...
11
12 Shut down X before emerging memory-hungry ebuilds. I don't mean
13 {CTRL}{ALT}{F1} switching to a text console; I mean log out of X
14 altogether. Without the memory overhead of X and various programs
15 running, you'll be able to compile Chromium a lot faster. Doing that,
16 I've built Pale Moon (a Firefox fork) from source on an ancient Atom
17 netbook with 2 gigs of ram in approximately 6 hours. I had to select
18 maximum cpu speed and "makeopts=-j3", but it works.
19
20 A few questions...
21 1) How much ram do you have?
22 2) How large is your swap partition?
23 3) Do you use ramdisks?
24 4) Do you use a lot of space for files in /dev/shm?
25 5) How much spare space do you have on your hard drive?
28 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
29 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications