From: Alarig Le Lay <alarig@××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TLD for home LAN?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 00:50:05
1 On Sat 15 Jan 2022 11:53:58 GMT, tastytea wrote:
2 > On 2022-01-15 10:33+0000 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hello list,
5 > >
6 > > Rich F said recently, "I'd avoid using the .local TLD due to RFC
7 > > 6762."
8 > >
9 > > That brings me back to a thorny problem: what should I call my local
10 > > network? It used to be .prhnet, but then a program I tried a few
11 > > years ago insisted on a two-component name, so I changed it to
12 > > .prhnet.local.
13 > >
14 > > Now I've read that RFC - well, Appendix G to it - and I'm scratching
15 > > my head. I suppose it's possible that someone may want to connect an
16 > > Apple device to my network, so perhaps I should clear the way for
17 > > that eventuality.
18 > >
19 > > So, what TLD should I use? Should I use .home, or just go back to
20 > > .prhnet? It isn't going to be visible to the Big Bad World, so does
21 > > it even matter?
24 > ICANN rejected .home as a TLD¹ because of name collision issues in
25 > private networks, so that should be fine.
26 >
27 > Another solution would be to register an inexpensive domain name and use
28 > that. 😊
29 >
30 > Kind regards, tastytea
31 >