From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 21:10:56
1 Hello, Neil.
2
3 On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 18:56:15 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 10:13:30 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > I've no idea how good systemd is. It's not been through the normal
7 > > process of choice and selection that other successful packages have. It
8 > > was forced on people. But being forced to have a binary system log,
9 > > being forced (so I have heard) to have an http server running, ....,
10
11 > This may come as a surprise to some, but some things you hear on
12 > t'internet are not true...
13
14 :-)
15
16 > For example, the http server is there to allow access to logs from
17 > another machine without needing to grant SSH access. It is not enabled by
18 > default.
19
20 OK. But it's still there taking up RAM, and (more importantly) makes a
21 systemd system a broader target for attacks. Whether a system has an
22 http server (or, for that matter, an SSH server), for whatever purpose,
23 should be for the system administrator to decide. I suspect this isn't
24 the case for systemd's http server.
25
26 In any case, I don't want an http server on my system: I have no http to
27 serve. I installed sshd as one of the first things on my new system, to
28 facilitate the transfer of files to it (and, probably, reading logs from
29 it remotely).
30
31 I don't want a binary logging daemon either: that means having to learn
32 a special purpose utility to be able to read its logs, and, in general,
33 not being able to read that log from a remote machine.
34
35 There are likely other inflexibilities about systemd that I don't want
36 either. That's one reason why I'm sticking with openrc. The politics
37 of it is another.
38
39 > --
40 > Neil Bothwick