From: Frank Scheiner <frank.scheiner@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Booting minimal installer ISO on rx4640 and rx2660 fails
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 09:36:51
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm trying to boot my Itanium gear with the current minimal installer
4 ISO [1] on CDROM but so far had no success at all. I also tested the
5 oldest of the minimal installer ISOs [2] still available, also without
6 success. For both my rx4640 and rx2660 I get the following output when
7 trying to boot from the internal DVD (its access LED lights up shortly):
8
9 ```
11 Load of Internal Bootable DVD failed: Not Found
12 Press any key to continue
13 ```
14
15 I've burned these ISOs with Brasero 3.10.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 and I can
16 access the contents of the CDROMs there too. I could even extract the
17 included kernel and initrd (and include the squashfs image) - following
18 and slightly adapting the howto on [3] for Itanium - and boot them, but
19 sadly couldn't get to the point where I could start the installation
20 process. I either did something wrong during the extraction and creation
21 process of initrd and initrd plus squashfs image, or the howto does not
22 work as intended for Itanium machines.
23
24 The machines seem to work correctly using a Debian Wheezy based NFS root
25 and were also able to boot the Debian 7.11 installer ISO on DVD for
26 Itanium without an issue though, hence I don't think this is a problem
27 of the machines or their DVD drives.
28
29 Does anybody have an idea, what could be wrong? And can somebody confirm
30 that these ISOs - when burned to CDROMs - work on rx4640 or rx2660 or
31 similar machines?
32
33 Cheers,
34 Frank