From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] quad vga - dual or single card?
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:17:01
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm appealing to your collective knowledge for something not really
4 gentoo :)
5
6 I'm looking at 4 independent VGA outputs for a church media / stage
7 environment (dvds, videos, presentations, maybe some live camera
8 backgrounds under text & such).
9
10 Do you think it would be better to get either:
11 * Dual 256MB PCIe x16 nVidia NVS 295, or
12 * Single 512MB PCIe x16 nVidia NVS 420
13
14 The single NVS 420 is about $350 more than the dual 295. (There is a
15 dual 420 option but that's another $1000 so I'm hoping to avoid it!)
16
17 both are quad-monitor capable. I'm considering performance, heat,
18 power, noise, and anything else you can think of. The 295 is passively
19 cooled, 23W each, whereas the 420 is active cooled but only 40W, or so
20 they say!
21
22 any tips much appreciated :)
26 If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.