From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: any one using ubuntu phones?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 16:37:28
1 On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 11:16 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Folks have forgotten about 'kernel tuning'. I have deglected the linux
4 > kernel quite a bit of late, mostly do to the rabid frequency and
5 > non-sense (useless) chances being advanced. I have decided to only
6 > update to 'long term support' kernels. So ideas on how to set up
7 > masks and portage ? I guess just mask off all kernel updates and
8 > manually unmask those long term kernel updates? Other ideas?
11 I've started going a similar route with all the recent btrfs
12 regressions that have bitten me. I'm now sticking with 3.18, and I'll
13 likely move on to the next longterm series once it gets more than a
14 few versions in.
15
16 The Gentoo kernel team's announced plan is to have stable keywords on
17 stable branches of the kernel, though I don't think they've promised
18 to maintain all of them. Anytime there is a new stable branch arch
19 teams will test before it goes stable, and after that the kernel team
20 will release new versions straight to stable, the logic being that
21 they're QAed by upstream and should only contain fixes for
22 regressions.
23
24 The easiest way to stick with a branch is probably to just mask
25 anything newer. Then you should get all new releases of that branch
26 until it is dropped. However, I'm not sure how noisy portage will be
27 if your branch is discontinued.
28
29 I've actually taken to just cloning kernel-stable.git. They keep
30 branches for all their releases which makes it pretty easy to do a
31 pull when you want an update, or you can just do a fetch and checkout
32 the release tag. I also do all my builds with O=/var/tmp/linux/ so
33 that my git checkout stays clean (and it is faster anyway writing to
34 tmpfs). But, with git if you mess up your checkout you can always
35 reset it.
36
37 I could almost see myself switching back to gentoo-sources for kdbus
38 though, now that they're including it (optionally).
41 Rich