From: michael.lienhardt@×××××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] does portage only consider the latest package?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:20:39
1 Dear all,
2
3 Is it normal that emerge, during its dependency resolution, only considers the latest version of a package?
4 If yes, is there a way to tell emerge to consider all unmasked versions?
5
6 I first noticed this behavior on a old version of the package tree, where
7 - sys-auth/polkit-113-r4 had REQUIRED_USE="?? ( elogind systemd )"
8 - sys-auth/polkit-115-r3 had REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( consolekit elogind systemd )"
9 And emerge failed right away saying that sys-auth/polkit-115-r3 could be installed (because its use flags wasn't configured).
10 I then tested with some testing ebuild, and the current version of portage has the same behavior.
11
12 Best,
13 Michael
14
15 PS: testing
16
17 ========================================= file pdepa-1.0.ebuild
18 EAPI=6
19 DESCRIPTION="low installable version"
20 HOMEPAGE=""
21 KEYWORDS="amd64"
22 SLOT="0"
23 IUSE="feature"
24 DEPEND=""
25 REQUIRED_USE=""
28 ========================================= file pdepa-2.0.ebuild
29 EAPI=6
30 DESCRIPTION="high uninstallable version"
31 HOMEPAGE=""
32 KEYWORDS="amd64"
33 SLOT="0"
34 IUSE="feature"
35 DEPEND="!virtual/libc"
36 #REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( feature )"
40 osboxes /opt/pdepa # emerge -pv --autounmask y --autounmask-backtrack y --backtrack 30 net-misc/pdepa
41
42 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
43
44 Calculating dependencies... done!
45 [ebuild N ] net-misc/pdepa-2.0::pdepa USE="-feature" 0 KiB
46 [blocks B ] virtual/libc ("virtual/libc" is blocking net-misc/pdepa-2.0)