From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Configuring hostapd
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 00:51:29
1 Hello,
2
3 After installing hostapd I can successfully connect to the AP, I can get DHCP
4 from it, but I cannot access the network through it (neither lan or internet).
5 This is an existing router box so iptables and everything else is already
6 properly configured.
7
8 I'm using this minimal config:
9
10 interface=wlp0s10
11 #driver=nl80211
12 hw_mode=g
13 channel=6
14 #ieee80211d=1
15 #country_code=FR
16 #ieee80211n=1
17 #wmm_enabled=1
18
19 ssid=LinuxAP
20 auth_algs=1
21 wpa=2
22 wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
23 rsn_pairwise=CCMP
24 wpa_passphrase=hello linux ap
25
26 iw list shows the following supported modes:
27 * IBSS
28 * managed
29 * AP
30 * AP/VLAN
31 * monitor
32
33 The ebuild warns that in order for hostapd to work I need to set the card in
34 master mode (the wiki makes no mention of it). But when I try to do that
35 (either through the net init scripts or through iwconfig) I get the following
36 error:
37
38 Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
39 SET failed on device wlp0s10 ; Invalid argument.
40
41 However after starting hostapd it appears that it was able to set the card to
42 master mode according to iwconfig:
43
44 wlp0s10 IEEE 802.11bg Mode:Master Tx-Power=20 dBm
45 Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
46 Power Management:off
47
48 So, is this card supported or not? Will I be able to connect and get dhcp from
49 the server if it didn't? Avahi also _sortof_ works. If I add the wifi card to
50 the deny-interfaces list on avahi-daemon.conf and try to ping the AP using the
51 avahi name the avahi daemon (on the AP) logs the following:
52
53 Received packet from invalid interface.
56 This is the output of rc-service hostapd start:
57
58 Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
59 Using interface wlp0s10 with hwaddr 00:14:a5:cb:4d:8a and ssid "LinuxAP"
60 wlp0s10: interface state UNINITIALIZED->ENABLED
61 wlp0s10: AP-ENABLED [ ok ]
64 Any suggestions?
67 Fernando Rodriguez