From: "Jens Müller" <blog@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM: extending volume groups and logical volumes
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 03:07:17
1 Am 16.12.2011 03:18, schrieb Allan Gottlieb:
2 > Questions
3 >
4 > 1. Apparently 2.6 (hence 3.x) kernels can expand mounted file systems
5 > (/var is mounted as ext3).
6 >
7 > Since I can't unmount /var because it is in use, I guess that, if I
8 > every need to shrink /var, I would need to boot off a CD. Is that
9 > correct?
10 >
11 > Back in the day, we had single user mode for this, but I don't see
12 > how to get the equivalent now.
13 >
14 > Is it really safe to extend /var (i.e., /dev/vg/var) while mounted
15 > as ext3? It sounds frightening since daemons could start running
16 > and access /var.
17
18 Well, online resizing works online, hence the name.
19
20 It is of course supposed to be working. You should have a backup
21 nethertheless.
22
23 resize2fs also supports shrinking ext3 partitions, see
24 http://linux.die.net/man/8/resize2fs
25
26 Regards,
27