From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage getting mixed up with USE?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:46:05
1 On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:41:57 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > It is unset here (well, it's not set, actually - same thing)
4
5 autounmask is set by default, you need to explicitly set it to off.
6
7 > I'm a sysadmin, I have an inherent distrust of all things software and
8 > automagic-config-changers are scary things indeed :-)
9
10 autounmask doesn't actually do anything, it only tells you what should be
11 added to /etc/portage/package.use. You need to use autounmask-write for
12 that, which doesn't play nicely if package.use is a directory[1].
13 However, it does respect the --ask flag, making it safe for all but the
14 most paranoid BOFHs (no names Alan) to use.
15
16 [1] It writes to a file of its choosing in that directory, with no regard
17 to its relevance. I'd prefer it to write to something like
18 packagename.autounmasked or even just packagename as it adds a comment
19 to the file to explain the content.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Monday is the root of all evil!