From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: tmp on tmpfs
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 18:46:46
1 On 05/24/2017 08:16 AM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > So what are gentoo users' opinions on this matter of faith?
3 >
4 > I have long been in the camp that thinks tmpfs for /tmp has no
5 > advantages (and may have disadvantages) over a normal filesystem like
6 > ext3, because the files there are normally so small that they will stay
7 > in the page cache 100% of the time.
8 >
9 > But I see that tmpfs is the default with systemd. Surely they have a
10 > good reason for this? :)
11
12 Their reason is described here:
13
14 https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/APIFileSystems
15
16 It seems that they consider it an important *default* to have /tmp exist
17 even if nothing else exists yet during boot-up.
18
19 Normally I wouldn't care too much whether /tmp is tmpfs or not. The only
20 cases where I do care, is when unpacking a huge tarball with contents I
21 didn't intend to keep around. But I stopped doing that in /tmp anyway. I
22 have my own ~/tmp for that now. When using /tmp for that, you need to rm
23 -rf what you don't need anymore, since it eats up RAM.
24
25 Another case is when I download something big that I intend to install
26 (*.bin installers) or unpack into a final location on disk. In those
27 cases, /tmp on tmpfs helps since it lowers disk fragmentation: you
28 download it to RAM, then install to disk.