From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtek 8197 wireless card setup
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:08:34
1 On Saturday 22 December 2007, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
2 > On Saturday 22 December 2007 10:30:45 am Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
3 > > > I think I'm getting closer now.
4 > > > I removed the driver from the kernel, and installed ndiswrapper.
5 > > > I got the inf driver from a guy from realtek, and used
6 > > > ndiswrapper -i drivername.inf to install it.
7 > > >
8 > > > Now, when I run
9 > > > iwlist wlan0 scanning, I can actually see my access point listed, plus
10 > > > lots of other local wireless networks.
11 > >
12 > > That's good. It actually receives.
13
14 Yep, you're half way there. The radio communication part of the equation
15 seems to be working.
16
17 > > > connecting to it is a different matter, however, as the connection
18 > > > always appears to time out. I'm using iwconfig to manually set the
19 > > > ESSID, wep key etc. at the moment, and have tried the trick of setting
20 > > > the speed manually to 5.5M to avoid timeouts.
21 > > >
22 > > > When I try to run dhcpcd wlan0 the first time, I get Error, wlan0:
23 > > > timed out The second time I try to run it, I get an error because
24 > > > dhcpcd is already running.
25
26 Try to kill it first (dhcpcd -k) and then re-run it. I would run with
27 defaults (re. channel, speed, etc.) and perhaps only add a small delay in
28 your /etc/conf.d/net to allow the device to come up:
29
30 sleep_scan_wlan0="1"
31
32 > > Try the minimal approach first and configure it manually using
33 > > ifconfig/route and ping some host on your network (or the AP if it does
34 > > IP). If that does not work, there's something wrong with the driver, if
35 > > it does, the culprit is dhcpcd (vram USE flag?).
36 >
37 > Just to clarify, how would I ping a host on my network? I only have one
38 > other PC connected to the router.
39
40 You use the LAN IP address of the router/host. I don't know what options
41 Belkin gives you, can you turn on responses to pings (ICMP packet requests)
42 both on the router and on the other PC?
43
44 > If that is not possible, due to wireless router firewall stealthing (I have
45 > a rather crash-prone Belkin wireless router at the moment), the next
46 > attempt would presumably be to ping the AP.
47 > If I have an AP MAC address, 00:15:E9:19:73:F2 (for example), how would I
48 > ping this?
49
50 You could use arping (net-analyzer/arping) - but that assumes that the router
51 accepts broadcast messages.
52
53 > I have checked the dhcpcd install, and the vram USE flag is presently
54 > unset. Does this flag need to be set?
55
56 Well, it may need to be set depending on your router. Certain dhcpcd server
57 implementations won't play nicely with the latest stable version of the
58 dhcpcd client and you end up getting time outs and no IP address.
59 Re-emerging with vram USE flag set solves this problem. Manually setting up
60 an available/suitable static LAN IP address may also work (e.g. ifconfig
61 wlan0 192.168.0.2).
62
63 > > Start with WEP, if that works switch to WPA.
64 >
65 > I've given up on WPA for now. If I can get WEP to work, I'll be happy at
66 > this point, though WPA operation would be the ultimate goal.
67 > Is ndiswrapper meant to work with the 2.6.23 kernel? I don't want to have
68 > to step down to an earlier kernel, as that causes problems with changing
69 > Xorg configurations, but I could go through the pain of this if it were
70 > strictly necessary.
71
72 ndiswrapper works fine with this kernel. I would start with the dhcpcd vram
73 flag to take this time out problem out of the equation and then I would edit
74 the /etc/conf.d/net to set up all necessary parameters instead of having to
75 enter everything via iwconfig at the command line. This will also minimise
76 the chance of typos at the CLI. Following a process of elimination I would
77 start with no encryption whatsoever at the router and if it works I would
78 then gradually add WEP and finally WAP.
79
80 PS. Assuming you get ndiswrapper going you can retry the in-kernel driver in
81 future versions as it is likely that more and more devices will be added.
82
83 HTH.
84 --
85 Regards,