From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Piping "emerge -a" to some other command
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 09:00:13
1 Rich,
2
3 On Thursday, 2022-02-24 07:10:10 -0500, you wrote:
4
5 > ...
6 > Wouldn't it be more appropriate to use -p in this case, which will
7 > require no input?
8
9 Running "emerge -p ..." followed by "emerge ..." without "-p" would run
10 the dependency analysis twice for EVERY package update. Using a single
11 "emerge -a" call will run the dependency analysis only once for almost
12 each package update. The option to say "N" and further inspect the "em-
13 erge" output using an editor is meant as sort of a safety belt which is
14 not intended to be used on a daily basis.
15
16 > I haven't dug into the man page, but I'm sure there are also options
17 > that are more intended to make the output more suitable for
18 > parsing/etc.
19
20 A quick search in the "emerge" manual page for "pars" and "pip" did not
21 turn up anything I considered relevant. Can anyone give more hints?
22
23 Sincerely,
24 Rainer