From: Frank Schafer <frank.schafer@×××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Why autoconf?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:47:21
1 Hi list,
2
3 I've some suggestions. Having taken the burden of initial installation I
4 wonder:
5
6 Why the hick are there so much versions of autoconf (in system)? Well,
7 somewhere in the [Nasty bug..] thread someone (again) mentioned, that
8 different packaged depend on different versions of autoconf. That's NOT
9 the truth for building a package.
10
11 Autoconf and automake provide tools to CREATE configure scripts. They
12 are completely unnecessary to BUILD or RUN the packages. I've built a
13 full featured LFS system some time ago without autoconf and automake
14 installed at all.
15
16 It is a good thing to have all these versions in portage for the case
17 someone wants to involve in development of a package, which will be
18 based on some version of the autoconf/automake double but IMHO they
19 shouldn't be part of system and if, then only one (the latest stable ;)
20 version.
21
22 What you about this?
23 Frank