From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RE: [gentoo-user] Encrypted hard drives on LVM and urgent power shutdowns.
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 08:40:35
1 On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 06:47:21 BST Thomas Mueller wrote:
2 > from Laurence Perkins:
3 > > Some of the higher-end UPS models do have diagnostic modes for simulating
4 > > various events to make sure the connected systems behave as desired. A
5 > > very few of the consumer-grade ones do as well. But how to do it is
6 > > model specific, so you'll have to dig up the documentation.
7 > >
8 > > Commercial-grade units also often have a DC port on the back so you can
9 > > plug in larger battery banks and/or hotswap battery banks during extended
10 > > outages.
11 > >
12 > > If you want an arbitrarily large battery bank, just get a decent power
13 > > inverter heavy enough to run your load and a battery float charger that
14 > > can push enough amps to keep up, then put as big a stack of batteries as
15 > > you like between the two. The nicer inverters will even warn you when
16 > > the batteries get low.
17 > >
18 > > You can often get used batteries from the local automotive shop for just
19 > > the core charge. Just because it can't provide 600 amps to start a car
20 > > any more doesn't mean it can't provide 60 to run your computers.
21 > > Obviously they'll require more regular maintenance, but it's hard to beat
22 > > the price.
23 > >
24 > > LMP
25 >
26 > How would you physically connect the automotive battery to the computer, and
27 > would you need the shell of the old UPS?
28
29 Yes, you need the *contents* of the UPS shell. It contains the rectifier to be
30 able to recharge the battery/batteries and the inverter to be able to feed the
31 PC from the batteries.
32
33 I've also used a car battery out of an old Mini to keep equipment running
34 during prolonged power outages. I connected it in parallel to the UPS
35 battery. After the power returned, almost two days later, I disconnected it
36 and recharged it with a car battery charger, which could take the higher
37 amperage. Trickle-charging should be OK via the UPS.
40 > I have an old Tripp-Lite UPS, batteries are dead and no longer rechargeable.
41
42 Why don't you replace them? They are not particularly expensive, although I
43 have not looked at UPS battery prices lately.
46 > Would you connect only the computer, or would you connect the monitor as
47 > well? Would you connect networking equipment?
48 >
49 > Tom
50
51 I connect modem, router, PC and monitor, so that whatever operation is taking
52 place it can be completed, applications running ended and the PC shutdown
53 manually. If the PC is running unattended when the power interruption
54 happens, eventually the upssched will shutdown the PC.