From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE ridiculous memory usage
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:47:58
1 Am 18.09.2010 22:19, schrieb Alex Schuster:
2 [...]
3 >
4 > I used to restart kdm once per day in order to free memory. If I did not
5 > do this, KDE4 became nearly unsusabe.
6 >
7 Yeah, logout - logon seems to resolve my problem temporarily, as well.
10 > Now this looks different here. I have X with 946M, plasma-desktop with
11 > 505M, that's 15 times the memory you need. Then comes java with 371M (for
12 > TV-Browser - yes, 371MB just for showing the TV programme!), emerge wants
13 > 272M while emerging openoffice. Chromium also needs much memory, my 33
14 > tabs want 762M:
15
16 Wow, especially X's usage makes me wonder whether this is a kernel bug.
19 > Which is another problem I think. One question is how KDE4 can need such a
20 > lot of memory, the other is how the system can become so unresponsive once
21 > its starts swapping. I used to have larger swap with less RAM, and did not
22 > have those performance problems. One year ago I usually had 2G tmpfs for
23 > /var/tmp/portage, nowadays (with 4G) I cannot emerge things while working
24 > with the system (like, watching videos with mplayer). It feels like as
25 > soon as RAM is not enough and swapping occurs, the system swaps stuff that
26 > it will need again immediately.
27
28 Hmm, maybe it is the usage pattern that matters. I guess X (or whatever
29 gets swapped out in your case) wants to access all the data, maybe for a
30 cyclic refresh or something, it blocks for some time.
31
32 That's the good thing about normal memory leaks: Whatever is leaked, it
33 is normally not accessed again, anyway.
36 > The system is an AMD Athlon 4850e (2 cores, 2500MHz) with 4GB of RAM.
37 > Everything is on LVM, most partitions are LUKS-encrypted. /var/tmp/portage
38 > is unencrypted, and at the moment swap is also not encrypted and on my 2nd
39 > drive. The encryption does not be much of an overhead, when the system
40 > stutters, top shows a large wa(it) value, and not much CPU usage. swappiness
41 > is set to 10.
44 My system is nearly completely on LUKS and LVM. That doesn't seem to be
45 the problym in my case, either.
46
47 > Any ideas? I might just get another 2G, and then the problems will be gone,
48 > but I think this would be only a workaround. 6G should be enough already
49 > even when using lots of applications, shouldn't it`?
50 >
51 > BTW, I emerged and tried KDE 3.5 a week ago. Cool, things were fast
52 > there. Probably because it needs less memory. But I don't want to go back.
55 The interesting thing is that I have a netbook with a minimal KDE-4 on
56 it. It doesn't need more than 150M of its 512M memory. Of course it
57 doesn't have Semantic Desktop and all that but it still works good and
58 is responsive as hell.