From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] zfs emerge failure (solved)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:49:28
1 Rich Freeman had the right clue.
2
3 Some time ago, after successfully installing zfs, I changed root's
4 umask to 0027. This had the effect of changing the permissions on
5 /lib/modules/X.Y.Z-gentoo to drwxr-x--- on a subsequent kernel
6 upgrade. This prevents emerge (once it switches to user:group
7 portage:portage) from being able to explore the contents of
8 /lib/modules/X.Y.Z-gentoo. Unfortunately for me, spl's configure
9 script locates the current kernel source by following the
10 /lib/modules/X.Y.Z-gentoo/build soft link. And it couldn't do that
11 with the overly restrictive umask. The solution was simple: eliminate
12 the 0027 umask for root, and chmod o+rx /lib/modules/X.Y.Z-gentoo.
13
14 Thanks for all the suggestions. They all helped.
15
16 John Blinka