From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] router woes
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 11:52:37
1 On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 22:52:25 -0700, Jorge Almeida wrote:
6 > It's more a privacy issue that security for me. I have a similar setup
7 > with a virgin cable router, which I set to what they call modem mode,
8 > where only one of the ports works and connects to my router. The one time
9 > I ran tech support they were able to see that I was using it this way and
10 > even reset the modem for me. I suppose it makes life easier for them and
11 > their typical customers, but it was a little unnerving.
14 The ISP provided router is officially managed (whatever this means) by
15 them. As to privacy, I know a packet is visible once it leaves the
16 router via Wan port. What I worry a bit is about the possibility of
17 foul play towards the home network. The computers are firewalled via
18 iptables, but accept connections from 192.168.... What prevents a
19 hacked router of impersonating a local origin?
20
21 J.A.