From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kernel configuration management
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 21:30:07
1 I'm planning to migrate several computers to Gentoo. At the moment I'm
2 running two machines with ad-hoc kernel configurations based on the
3 kernel configuration from the installation CD (which was created for
4 2.6.26). In order to keep the maintenance effort for the new machines
5 low, I would like to have a unified/baseline kernel configuration with
6 minor adjustments for some machines.
7
8 I have been thinking about this for several weeks now and came to the
9 conclusion, that there are two sub-problems: Creating a universal kernel
10 configuration and merging and maintaining specific configurations with
11 the baseline configuration.
12
13 The second problem can be solved by simple concatenation and/or
14 defconfigman, kccmp and make silentoldconfig. OpenWRT does this pretty
15 much the same way.
16
17 Creating the baseline configuration is much harder. So far I tried make
18 defconfig, the installation CD configuration and kernel-seeds.org. None
19 really satisfied my requirements and often resulted in ad-hoc changes
20 when I simply went through a compile and reboot cycle until everything
21 worked. I had a look at policies of other GNU/Linux distributions [1,2]
22 and found that I need to develop or adopt a policy for my systems (the
23 Ubuntu "modular where possible" policy seems reasonable to me and
24 probably makes the curent ad-hoc configuration unnecessary). I also
25 thought about reusing kernel configurations from other distributions,
26 but have some doubts about kernel version mismatches (i.e. the kernel
27 versions of Gentoo and the other distribution differ) and about
28 unintended implications of kernel options that I don't fully understand.
29
30 The mailing list archives show that this topic has been partly discussed
31 before (especially whether Gentoo should have a default kernel
32 configuration like other distributions), so I don't want to start a
33 lengthy discussion about this here. I'm more interested in what other
34 people do for larger deployments/installations on heterogeneous hardware.
35
36 Regards,
37 Matthias-Christian
38