From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Some symbols render incomplete in text mode
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:22:24
1 ср, 27 апр. 2022 г. в 13:55, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>:
2 >
3 > Am Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:57:49PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
4 >
5 > > After a recent update of my Gentoo system, I have noticed that some
6 > > symbols may be rendered incomplete in a text mode.
7 >
8 > What exactly do you mean with “text mode”?
9
10 First of all, thank you for replying to my question.
11
12 By "text mode" I mean that "it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser
13 and in a dialog-window for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.
14
15 > Which terminal are you using, and—most importantly—which font?
16
17 I am using xfce-terminal, and it is using Monospace Regular font on 11 pt.
18
19 In Gvim, I use the same Monospace Regular font on 10 pt.
20
21 I do not know which font is in use by the window that helps me
22 to save html files from the web-browser.
23
24 I have noticed this problem with cyrillic symbols and dots.
25
26 > > It happens in Gvim, in a web-browser and in a dialog-window for saving
27 > > files. Maybe, also in xterm but I am not quite sure about it. So, it is
28 > > not specific to any application.
29 >
30 > So not only in text mode (i.e. TTY or terminal)?
31
32 No, as I already explained above, by "text mode" I mean that
33 "it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser and in a dialog-window
34 for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.
35
36 > > For example, while saving a web-page from a google-chrome, I sometimes
37 > > cannot see a dot before html. However, it is present there.
38 >
39 > See it where? A (small) screenshot may help.
40
41 Unfortunately, I have not made a screenshot of this. So, I will try to
42 explain:
43 When I press Ctrl+s to save an html page from the google-chrome
44 a dialog window is opened with the suggested name of the file that
45 ends in "html." There is a dot before that "html" but sometimes it was
46 not shown to me. The same was with the top parts of some cyrillic letters
47 (to the point that it was hard to read).
48
49 > Perhaps it is an overwide character, but the program that displays the
50 text
51 > wants to adhere to a regular character width. I’ve had this issue in the
52 > past with Konsole.
53
54 I do not think that it was connected with overwide characters because
55 the effect appeared not with them or beside them.
56
57 This problem with dots and top parts of letters *faded*
58 after I updated the freetype package this Sunday.
59 However, I cannot say that it stopped immediately after this update.
60 It indeed *faded* during a few rebooting after that.
61
62 > > Some letters can be shown without their top parts. In youtube videos, I
63 > > may see only the lower part of a gear that denotes some customization
64 > > features and so on.
65 >
66 > Only the gear? Or also all the other symbols in the video player toolbar?
67
68 No, not only the gear symbol but some other ones as well, but not all of
69 them.
70
71 > Again, a nicely cropped screenshot may shed some light so we can better
72 > understand it.
73
74 I was able to reproduce it just now and made a few screenshots.
75 I will add "a nicely cropped" ones as attachments to this email.
76
77 It as also interesting that the symbol in the youtube player toolbar
78 that was shown only partially changes to the full one when I move
79 a mouse pointer over it.
80
81 > > However, I do not see any distortion in playing videos.
82 >
83 > Did you set up a strange or very unusual DPI value for your font
84 rendering?
85
86 No, I have not played with this. And moreover, with the same settings,
87 it was completely ok for years.

original_effect.png image/png
after_pointing_a_mouse_to_the_gear_symbol.png image/png