From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my system (really) using nptl
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:47:55
1 On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Timur Aydin <ta@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have done many tests on my ~x86 system to confirm that it is nptl based:
5 >
6 > - I have the nptl and nptlonly use flags in my make.conf and my system
7 > is up to date.
8 >
9 > - Running /lib/libc.so.6 shows:
10 >
11 > ta@bonsai ~ $ /lib/libc.so.6
12 > GNU C Library stable release version 2.15, by Roland McGrath et al.
13 > Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
14 > This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
15 > There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
16 > PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
17 > Compiled by GNU CC version 4.5.3.
18 > Compiled on a Linux 3.5.0 system on 2012-09-10.
19 > Available extensions:
20 > C stubs add-on version 2.1.2
21 > crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
22 > Gentoo patchset 21
23 > GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
24 > Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
25 > Support for some architectures added on, not maintained in glibc
26 > core.
27 > BIND-8.2.3-T5B
28 > libc ABIs: UNIQUE IFUNC
29 > For bug reporting instructions, please see:
30 > <http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.
31 >
32 > - getconf also indicates nptl:
33 >
34 > ta@bonsai ~ $ getconf GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION
35 > NPTL 2.15
38 > Yet, when I look at the process list, I am seeing all programs that use
39 > threads having uniquey pid's for each thread. I even compiled a simple
40 > program that just creates 5 threads, each sleeping forever. Again, each
41 > thread had a unique pid.
42 >
43 > I have also checked the kernel config. FUTEX support was enabled, but
44 > the top level selector (EXPERT options) was not selected. I guess the
45 > top level selector just exposes the FUTEX selector and doesn't really
46 > affect whether it is enabled or not.
47 >
48 > So, what I am wondering now, is my system configured for NPTL or not?
49
50 You arouse my curiosity. Maybe there is a bug in glibc in ~x86; I'm
51 running stable (but with vanilla sources 3.6.0), and I have basically
52 the same setup as you: my glibc states that it has NTPL, getconf also
53 says it so, and I have FUTEX support enabled. I just don't set ntpl
54 nor ntplonly in my use flags (I was under the impression they were
55 enabled by default). My little program with 5 threads gets listed as a
56 single PID in my "ps x" output.
57
58 sys-libs/glibc-2.15-r2, no use flags set (except for multilib, which
59 is mandatory)
60 sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.6.1
61
62 Regards.