From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 00:56:13
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 07/01/19 10:46, Dale wrote:
3 >> From what I've read, that can be overcome. If you get say a SMART
4 >> message that a drive is failing,
5 > Yup, I have to agree that SMART isn't always reliable, but if you
6 > *monitor* it, it should give plenty of warning of the recording medium
7 > failing ...
10 Yep.  It may not detect a spindle motor that is about to fail.  I'm sure
11 it can't detect that lightening is about to strike and the drive get hit
12 with a surge either.  It can generally tell if the media is failing
13 tho.  I've read it can detect some components that are starting to fail
14 to, not all but some.  Still, even tho it can't detect everything, it is
15 better than no warning at all.  Until something better comes along, ESP
16 maybe, it will have to do.  ;-)
19 >> just remove that drive or remove the
20 >> whole LVM setup and use something else until a working drive setup can
21 >> be made. Once ready, then move the data, if the drive still works, to
22 >> the new drive. That is basically what I did when I swapped a smaller
23 >> drive for a larger one. I moved the data from one drive to another. It
24 >> did it fairly quickly. Someone posted that it may even be faster to do
25 >> it with LVM's pvmove than it is with cp or rsync. I don't know how true
26 >> that is but from what I've read, it moves the data really efficiently.
27 > Point is, it works at a different level. Both cp and rsync are NOT
28 > guaranteed to copy your filesystem accurately - mine is full of hard
29 > links and that will give both those two a hard and nasty time.
30 >
31 > LVM copies the block device underneath the file system, so it is less
32 > efficient in that it will copy 3GB if you have a 3GB partition, but it
33 > is far simpler in that it neither knows nor cares what the file system
34 > is doing at the next level up. Give a file-system like mine to "cp -a"
35 > and it'll bring the system to its knees trying to keep track of where
36 > everything is.
37 >
38 > Cheers,
39 > Wol
42 That was what I read but couldn't recall enough to tell how it does it.
43 That explains why it can be done while in use to.
44
45 Just how do you do backups?  If cp -a and rsync would not work
46 correctly, what do you use?  I'm just curious now.  ;-)
47
48 Dale
49