From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change from udev to eudev?
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 01:55:04
1 wabe wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> wabe wrote:
5 >>> Hi,
6 >>>
7 >>> emerge wants to install eudev. Now I wonder if this is ok
8 >>> and if so, how I can do this without breaking my system.
9 >>>
10 >>> Any help is greatly appreciated.
11 >>>
12 >>> This is the output from emerge:
13 > [...]
14 >> I switched mine back when eudev was new and not even stable yet. It
15 >> was as simple as unmerge udev and emerge eudev. I don't recall even
16 >> doing a reboot, which I rarely do here anyway.
17 > THX for your answer.
18 >
19 > That's also what I normally do in such a case but I was not sure if
20 > the systems keeps running when I remove udev. I will make a backup
21 > before I remove udev. Then I should be on the safe side.
22 >
23 > But I wonder why portage wanna change udev to eudev on my system. It
24 > seems that this is not the case for everyone else. I'm using a stable
25 > hardened gentoo system and did not change USE flags or other settings.
26 > Just started my regular update process.
27 >
28 > @R0b0t1: THX also for your answer.
29 >
30 > --
31 > Regards
32 > wabe
37 Add the -t option and it should show what is pulling it in. I don't
38 know why, I always forget to add that when something confusing happens
39 on my end but I always think about it when it happens to someone else.
40 I think it could be age related. lol
41
42 If I recall correctly, I was logged into KDE when I did mine. Keep in
43 mind, it just adds new stuff that you connect. If for example you plug
44 in something during the switch, that could cause it to not recognize the
45 device. As long as you don't connect/disconnect anything, it should
46 work fine. The only problem I might could see is if you have a
47 mouse/keyboard with a flaky connection. Likely a rare thing to happen
48 tho, without you already noticing.
49
50 Dale
51