From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ati-drivers-8.27.10: total lock on logout
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 18:15:35
1 On 8/4/06, fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Does anyone know what the heck is going on here? I mean this is TOTALLY
3 > unacceptable. I know it is not gentoos fault, it's ATI putting out crap
4 > drivers... But this is SO FRUSTRATING not having reliable 3D :(
5
6 Yeah, one of my main requirements for my new laptop was an Intel or
7 Nvidia GPU, because I got sick and tired of ATIs shit. NVidia is
8 better, but still not perfect. We can only hope that AMDs purchase of
9 ATI will result in some better cooperation with the opensource
10 community...eventually.
11
12 For now, the only other option you have for 3D support is to try out
13 the reverse-engineered r300 driver. If you have a recent enough
14 kernel, you can turn on "Device Drivers->Character Devices->Direct
15 Rendering Manager" and "ATI Radeon". Then using the radeon driver and
16 standard DRI setup, you might get hardware 3D acceleration.
17
18 I have never used it, so I can't say how well the reverse-engineered
19 driver works. I do know it is still very much a work in progress
20 though, the more recent the kernel, the better. You might also have a
21 look at the table in /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/drm/drm_pciids.h and
22 compare to your vendor and device id (from lspci -n output), to see if
23 your chip is supported by the in-kernel driver before going through
24 the trouble.
25
26 > What can I do? I have struggled in the past very hard with getting DRI to work
27 > in xorgs radeon driver, but it takes cvs versions of this and overlays of
28
29 Most of that should now be resolved with recent kernels and x.org versions....
30
31 > that and blah blah blah... A real pain.... I should be able to get 3D going
32 > here, preferrably without ATI's drivers, i mean this card has been out for a
33 > while.... What do I do? So frustrating......
34
35 The problem is that ATI doesn't release programming specs either. So
36 it is not simply a matter of time before something works...that only
37 applies if the company will at least work with the interested devs.
38 ATI has demonstrated very little interest in providing decent linux
39 support. If you have a choice, don't buy them. Again, we can only
40 hope that the purchase by AMD goes through and changes the culture,
41 but don't hold your breath.
42
43 -Richard
44 --