From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 00:38:54
1 On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> It appears that grub2 is coming soon.
5 >> grub 2.00 has been released!
6 >>
7 >> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
12 > I wasn't expecting it to be that soon.  I guess it will hit the tree
13 > pretty soon then.  Well, we all need to think about the goods and bads
14 > of upgrading or staying with the old.  I'm thinking about using the new
15 > one pretty soon.  Heck, they ticked me off pretty bad with the /usr and
16 > init thingy so I may as well jump off the cliff I was pushed up to.  :/
17 >
18 > 1/4 of the way down, all is good so far.  1/2 way down and all is good
19 > so far.  3/4 way down and all is good so far.  I'm worried about that
20 > sudden stop now.  O_O
21 >
22 > Dale
23
24 *shuffles his feet*
25
26 I've started using genkernel. Once I discovered I can specify my own
27 kernel configuration, it got a lot less ugly to me. The initramfs
28 thing hasn't gotten in my way...yet. And it helped me recover an
29 install process once so far, so I can't complain _to_ much. My only
30 complaint thus far is its terrible error reporting. And since I'm
31 using an initramfs, I went ahead and dropped my / on top of a raid5
32 volume.
33
34 But even before I started using genkernel...grub2 sounded like a good
35 thing. One of the previous threads in here described how you assemble
36 its configuration, and it made a *lot* of sense, from an architectural
37 standpoint.
41 :wq