From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: beegfs goes opensource!
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 04:02:50
1 Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge <at> gentoo.org> writes:
2
3 > > Ummmm... nothing about what license it is released under
4
5 > Just read the web page, it's there.
6
7 > "The BeeGFS client module is licensed under the GPLv2. All other BeeGFS
8 > components are licensed under the BeeGFS EULA."
11 So how does that work on a distributed file system. Is the client-server
12 model that restrictive for non-commercial use? From the "Introduction to
13 BeeGFS by ThinkParQ" it states:
14
15 "The BeeGFS file system comes without licence fee: It is a “free to use”
16 product for end users – so whoever wants to try it for his own use, can
17 download it from www.beegfs.com and use it. The client is published under
18 GPL, and the server is covered by the Fraunhofer EULA."
21 But in the EULA, section 3.4 is a killer. Oh well, maybe in time
22 they'll sell enough support to have all the 'enterprise features"
23 on a GPL style license. If not, I doubt their code stay competitive.
24 The fact they are make the sources available and allowing modifications,
25 for internal use only, might suggest a more realistic pathway forward. I'll
26 bet as soon as another opensourced-gpl become competitive, they fully GPL
27 the codes (at least this is my hope).
28
29 Bummer, but thanks for pointing out the license restrictions.
30
31 James
36 James