From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Easy (cough) way to build earlier gentoo-sources 3.18.x kernel?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 22:34:26
1 Bob Wya <bob.mt.wya <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I had a look at the kernel-2 eclass and my head started to hurt... Do
5 > I need to wade into the weeds or is there a "short-cut" I can take to
8 Might this help [1] ?
9
10 I always keep at least 6 older kernels around, for this and many other
11 reasons. If I hack at something (kernelish) then what the resultant
12 effect is (on the kernel) is hard to remember 6 months laters.
13
14 I do not do enough kernel hacking to warrant my own git repo, but
15 I have considered that two. Using gentoo for about a decade now,
16 I found it just easier to keep older kernels around, sometimes
17 for years, but no more than 7 versions.
18
19 I stay with amd64 and sometimes I boot up an old system, just to scp
20 a kernel from one machine to another......
21
22 I have always found that older kernels, particularly less than a year
23 old most always boot too. Sure there is a more modern, savvy method
24 to keep old kernels around, so hopefully somebody else will
25 pipe up about exactly what you need. Add to this the slobberingly stupid
26 pace of linux kernel releases and you'll understand why lots of
27 folks are archiving kernels (sources and binaries) from the stable
28 branches......
31 Does systemd provide and tools for this?
34 sorry,
35 James
36
37 [1] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade/en