From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: wpa_supplicant cannot find crypto routines
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 18:53:50
1 On Tuesday 28 Apr 2015 23:35:31 walt wrote:
2 > On 04/28/2015 09:59 AM, Justin Findlay wrote:
3 > > I am unable to emerge net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.4-r1. I've
4 > > encountered this on two systems now.
5 > >
6 > > The output included has been insensitively thrashed by thunderbird, so
7 > > I've also pasted it along with some other info.
8 > >
9 > > https://gist.github.com/jfindlay/b3fc74bda7d4cfb5a2dc
12 > > I'm wondering if I have an unusual USE flags situation that is causing
13 > > this
14 >
15 > In lieu of an informed opinion (which you've not been offered yet) I can
16 > say that I emerged it today on two different machines, and your useflags
17 > differ from mine in that I do *not* have these enabled:
18 >
19 > ap
20 > eap-sim
21 > p2p
22 > wimax
23 > wps
24 >
25 > Makes me wonder if I should be enabling any of those.
28 Not unless:
29
30 -You want to set up your PC as a wireless access point - USE="ap".
31
32 -You want to use a mobile phone SIM to undertake authentication to an AAA
33 server to allow usage of a wireless access point - USE="eap-sim".
34
35 -You want to set up p2p ad-hoc wireless connections between WiFi clients
36 without an access point (e.g. to transfer files, tether your phone to use it
37 as modem to browse the Internet and vice versa) - USE="p2p".
38
39 -You have a WiMAX NIC and service account to be able to use this kind of
40 network (IEEE 802.16) - USE="wimax".
41
42 -For some reason you want to use Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) to obtain access
43 to your wireless AP, instead of entering the WPA2 passphrase directly in your
44 wpa_supplicant.conf file (or networkmanager, connman, wicd, or what have you)
45 - USE="wps".
46
47 PS. WPS has a reported vulnerability making susceptible to brute-force
48 attacks and you would probably have it already switched off on your router.
49
50 PPS. I have had no problem emerging net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.4 with
51 these USE flags:
52
53 (dbus eap-sim hs2-0 qt4 readline ssl wps -ap -fasteap -gnutls -p2p -ps3 -
54 selinux -smartcard -tdls -uncommon-eap-type)
57 Regards,
58 Mick