From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to stop mouse motion
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:59:37
1 On Samstag 15 November 2008, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
3 wrote:
4 > > On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 18:55 -0200, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
5 > >> Hi. I have a crappy mouse made in China. One of its problems is that
6 > >> the mouse pointer sometimes moves even while the mouse is not moving.
7 > >> Usually this manifests by the pointer "shaking", moving back and
8 > >> forward one or two pixels very fast (it looks like some 5 times per
9 > >> second). The worst problem caused by this is that the monitor can
10 > >> wake up at seemingly random times.
11 > >>
12 > >> One solution would be to switch off the monitor every time I won't use
13 > >> it for a few minutes, but (AFAIK) this would waste energy and reduce
14 > >> lifetime. I want the DPMS modes of standby, suspend, off.
15 > >>
16 > >> Another solution would be to buy another mouse, but this would cost
17 > >> money and would not teach me the solution (this problem can manifest
18 > >> again in the future, with this or another computer).
19 > >>
20 > >> So I want a way to tell the kernel or X11 to ignore mouse motion.
21 > >> Either to shut down mouse motion completely, or to allow it but to
22 > >> ignore it for the effect considering the computer as idle. I have
23 > >> performed a quick read of kernel code and of the xorg.conf man page
24 > >> but I see no clue.
25 > >>
26 > >> Anybody knows?
27 > >
28 > > Yes. What you need to do is write your own mouse driver. Call it
29 > > 'crappydrv'. In this driver, you detect events sent by the mouse, but
30 > > then simply ignore them.
31 >
32 > I don't know how to write my own driver, and what I want is to
33 > dynamically shut up the mouse at runtime, and free it when I come
34 > back. Or, ideally, just make X ignore mouse movement for idle time
35 > calculations.
36 >
37 > But you were probably joking anyway...
38
39 if it is a usb mouse, disconnect it. Or unload the driver.