From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:53:53
1 I am thinking of migrating my laptop from Kmail1 to Kmail2. I don't *really*
2 have to do this yet, but I'd rather attempt one more time to move to Kmail2
3 while not under duress, because bitrot or maintainers decisions may force my
4 hand sooner or later anyway.
5
6 I have made half a dozen attempts over the years, most with very poor results.
7 Thankfully I was not hit by the bug that deleted most of Alan's emails, at the
8 early days of KDEPIM4. However, my experiences can be summarised as follows:
9
10 1. Attempts to migrate my old emails to Kmail2 ended up never completing
11 satisfactorily. Duplicate emails, not syncing Sent messages, etc. were some
12 of the symptoms. I blamed the hardware at the time, which was a really
13 anaemic old 32bit laptop. At least one account (Gmail) was POP3 and I wanted
14 to keep it this way. It never really worked properly, duplicating messages
15 and multiplying them every time I deleted one of the duplicate messages. In a
16 couple of days the installation was unusable. I rinsed and repeated from
17 backups, with the same unsatisfactory results. I deleted all accounts and
18 recreated them afresh (rather than migrating the existing messages on the
19 disk) but this was plagued by the same problems. Eventually I gave up and
20 went back to Kmail1.
21
22 2. A couple of years later, I had another go with Kmail2, but this time I
23 decided to use IMAP4, on an Acer with a dual core chip and 4GB RAM.
24 Thankfully, there were no dupes, no mail corruption, or loss. I ended up
25 blaming a poor implementation of POP3 or Gmail for previous problems.
26 However, with my large number of messages, it would still take for ever to
27 sync folders (Gmail labels). Email accounts with less than 1,000 messages did
28 not seem to have a problem syncing withing a reasonable time. I had a couple
29 of akonadi/mysql corruptions too. On a laptop the concept of having to wait
30 in excess of an hour for your Gmail Inbox to sync with the server is not a
31 practical proposition. However, leaving it overnight to sync everything
32 usually would result in a working mail client. I say usually, because
33 occasionally mysql would peg one CPU core to 100% and kmail would freeze for
34 anything up to 40 minutes at a time. The whole interface would freeze
35 whenever it was syncing a folder.
36
37 3. I set up Kmail2 on an old 32bit desktop for my wife. Kmail2 was similarly
38 unresponsive while syncing folders and while akonadi was doing its indexing on
39 mysql. I reverted it back to Kmail1.
40
41 4. I set up Kmail2 on a modern desktop (quad-core with 16GB RAM) for my wife's
42 multiple email accounts, all with less than 1,000 messages. Over the period
43 of a year she experienced a couple of akonadi/mysql corruptions, from which
44 her installation recovered fully, after I removed the akonadi databases and
45 let it recreate them. Kmail2 is being used daily without her reporting any
46 other problems with it.
49 So I decided to delete a lot of old messages to slim my Gmail down and have
50 another go with Kmail2. However, I am still unsure from my experimentation if
51 the intermittent nature of a network connection of a laptop will cause any
52 problems with Kmail2 and its akonadi architecture.
53
54 Have you been able to use Kmail2 reliably on a *laptop*? What problems have
55 you experienced? Has intermittent network availability caused loss of
56 messages? Any gotchas and workarounds? Any suggestions?
59 Regards,
60 Mick