From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: To all IPv6-slackers among the Gentoo community
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 17:29:36
1 On 2019-11-29 00:01, Ralph Seichter wrote:
2
3 > > The first reason [...] was that my router does _not_ assign fe80::1 to
4 > > itself, but rather some other arbitrary address in the fe80 prefix
5 >
6 > I found an article[1] that I first read years ago. "One method to make
7 > things easier is to manually assign the link-local address to the
8 > upstream router’s interfaces." That's one of the firmware-dependent
9 > things, it may happen automatically. I know that my favourite data
10 > center has its routers set up this way as well. One does not have to use
11 > this method, of course.
12
13 > > I did enable the router advertisement feature, and I checked that the
14 > > daemon is running on the router. But I can see no output related to
15 > > that when I run tcpdump on the desktop system.
16 >
17 > Anything that might be interfering with ICMPv6 ? That would prevent all
18 > NDP, including router advertisement.
19
20 > I only use a static IPv6 address for hosted machines, because I need DNS
21 > AAAA records. The individual subnets are statically assigned by the data
22 > center to each machine.
23 >
24 > At home, I don't configure clients with static IPv6, because it is not
25 > necessary for me. In fact, I'm happy to have the lowest 64 address bits
26 > scrambled (IPv6 Privacy Extensions) to make traffic analysis more
27 > difficult. All local clients can use NDP to locate each other anyway.
28 >
29 > > https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/ipv6/start
30 >
31 > Sadly I have no practical experience with OpenWrt. Hopefully somebody
32 > else here can help with that.
33
34 I did make it work with DHCP6. The problems are all with my OpenWrt
35 router. It is free software and I love it, but it has its
36 bu^H^Hquirks. In particular it doesn't seem to be possible to force a
37 particular link-local address on the internal interface. Apart from
38 that, it needs one crucial bit of configuration that's kind of hidden
39 (can't be done via the GUI), to let the router advertisements through.
42 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
43 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
44 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
45 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.