From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 19:02:24
1 On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > kashani wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> I recently got DSL and youtube is growing on me. LOL I been trying to
7 >>> find a really good hard drive that is around 400 to 500Gb and pretty
8 >>> fast. It has to be a IDE drive, you know, the big wide cables. I don't
9 >>> have SATA on this rig.
10 >>>
11 >>> I have a Maxtor that I like and is pretty fast but it appears they are a
12 >>> little hard to find nowadays. In matter of importance: size, price,
13 >>> speed. Newegg is great but will consider others as well.
14 >>>
15 >>> Thanks for any pointers. Open to ideas.
16 >>
17 >> SATA PCI card should be < $20. I'd then go with a SATA II drive.
18 >>
19 >> kashani
23 > I been looking at these cards on newegg. I haven't had a SATA drive
24 > before and confess I don't know a lot about them. They are faster and
25 > have little bitty cables. I'm looking at this one:
26 >
27 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124003
28 >
29 > I notice that it has two internal and two external connectors. Can I
30 > assume that the "eSATA" means external or is that something else?
31 >
32 > Also while I have the link and you are most likely looking at it, is
33 > this a good fast card? It appears to be a pretty recent revision since
34 > it also says SATA II.
35
36 Honestly, for $50 you can probably buy a new motherboard that has SATA
37 built-in. :)
38
39 This one is normal PCI and has 4 ports for $10 less cost, using
40 SIL3124 chipset which should work fine in Gentoo: N82E16816124028
41
42 As far as speed, I think PCI will be the ultimate bottleneck,
43 especially if you ever attach more than 1 drive. But it should at
44 least not be slower than your IDE, and access times should be nice and
45 quick.
46
47 For the alternative of cheap SATA-to-IDE adapter I was thinking of
48 something like this:
49 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12537