From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with UNICODE and man pages encoding
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:34:48
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 05:27:08 -0600 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
4 <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > On Thursday 22 February 2007 23:14, paulie.x wrote:
7 > > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. napsal(a):
8 > > > On Thursday 22 February 2007, jcd <jcd@××××××.cz> wrote
9 > > >
10 > > > about '[gentoo-user] Problem with UNICODE and man pages encoding':
11 > > >> Hi.
12 > > >> I converted my system to UNICODE with assistance
13 > > >> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Make_your_system_use_unicode/utf-8.
14 > > >> But my man-pages are
15 > > >> still displayed with bad characters ('á' is 'á') in console
16 > > >> even in X terminal emulator.
17 > > >>
18 > > >> I tried to changed line in
19 > > >> /etc/make.conf:
20 > > >> Code:
21 > > >> NROFF /usr/bin/nroff -Tascii -c -mandoc
22 >
23 > I don't have a line that looks anything like that in my make.conf
24
25 No, the poster most definitely meant to write man.conf instead of
26 make.conf.
27
28 That would be correct.
29
30 But his output looks like he already gets UTF-8 out of "man". He just
31 borked his terminal settings or is running a non-Unicode terminal.
32 Otherwise, there would just be one glyph for an unrecognized code
33 sequence, plus probably the following char being eaten.
34
35 So to the OP: Configure your terminal accordingly (for console: set
36 consoletrans and -font correctly) or if you didn't yet, install a
37 unicode-aware terminal program.
38
39 -hwh
40 --