From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hardening a laptop for travel
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:43:23
1 On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 13:09 -0600, Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 13:41:06 -0500
5 > I don't run iptables on my laptops. Instead, I choose to run only a
6 > few secure services and then proceed to not worry about it.
7 >
8 hmmm - another target.
9
10 Firewalls can be viewed as a waste of time on a perfect system - but
11 what system is ever perfect?
12
13 Can you guarantee that no services that are untrustworthy will EVER run
14 on the machine - think accidental installs? A couple of years back we
15 (local lug) had an incidence of a windows virus listening on a network
16 port of a linux machine - apparently something to do with running an
17 infected application under wine. Its what you dont know that will bite
18 you.
19
20 Can you guarantee that there is never a bug in your software that might
21 leave you exposed?
22
23 Can you guarantee that you have have NEVER mis-configured a service or
24 application?
25
26 Thought not ...
27