From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netqmail and qmail
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:30:26
1 Michael Crute schrieb:
2 > On 7/31/06, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
3 >> Michael Crute wrote:
4 >> > On 7/31/06, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
5 >> >> Suranga Kasthuriarachchi wrote:
6 >>
7 >> >> > Which is the best for organization mail server.
8 >> >>
9 >> >> NOT qmail - too many holes and not good performancewise.
10 >>
11 >> > I would beg to differ with the statement about security. Qmail is
12 >> > arguably THE MOST secure mail server
13 >> > (http://cr.yp.to/qmail/guarantee.html).
14 >>
15 >> Actually, it is NOT. DJB made this statement but he doesn't
16 >> stand to it. See http://home.pages.de/~mandree/qmail-bugs.html
17 >> for a quite big collection of bugs and RFC violations of qmail.
18 >>
19 >> To quote from that page:
22 > I'm not here to start a war over the merits of any one MTA... but I
23 > think it's worth reading DJBs rebuttal of the accusations made by
24 > Postfix's author.
25
26 Well, that page that I quoted from is NOT from the Postfix
27 author. It's from somebody else. Also, the page you mentioned
28 is from no later than 1998, it seems. My page was from 2006 (!),
29 so it really seems as if nothing has been changed in qmail in
30 8 years! Not really convincing, if you ask me. Finally, the
31 500$ offer isn't worth anything, as it's not awarded, although
32 it should've been.
33
34 And in closing, I'd like to just add, that the personality of
35 DJB also doesn't make qmail or his software favorable to me.
36
37 Anyway - I stand to what I wrote. I'd suggest any MTA, *BESIDES*
38 qmail and sendmail. qmail, as it's too buggy, too few features
39 and too "complicated". sendmail, as the configuration is a nightmare
40 (compared to easier systems available nowadays).
41
42 Alexander Skwar
43 --
44 "Professional certification for car people may sound like an
45 oxymoron." -The Wall Street Journal, page B1, Tuesday, July 17,
46 1990.
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list