From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Samba !
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 20:35:40
1 On 6 Jan 2006, at 16:24, brunogola wrote:
2 >
3 > My notebook running linux is already authenticating against the
4 > win. domain (AD). I've done this using samba,
5 > kerberos5 and winbind (pam modules etc), thats woring perfectly :-)
6 >
7 > Now, what i need : my desktop (that is another linux machine)
8 > authenticanting against my notebook, using samba,
9 > but the problem is that samba is already configured @ the notebook
10 > as a AD Domain member :S.
11 > ...
12 > Well, the principal service is a VMWare GSX Server running on my
13 > notebook, i need to be able to authenticate
14 > (using the vmware-console) from any machine in my network (windows
15 > or linux). I think the vmware thing is the
16 > less important part, cause it should be easy editing pam.d/vmware-
17 > authd after everthing is configured.
18 > ...
19 > I want to have bgola on the linux machine for a control propose,
20 > or, only authenticate if the user exists on
21 > the machine. This is already working for console/ssh/etc on the
22 > Notebook.
23
24 I'm afraid I'm not sure how much I can help here - it's not something
25 I'd do because philosophically I disagree with your approach. That's
26 not to say it's not right _for you_ but I wouldn't have a user in two
27 places (on the Linux box & the AD). You even have the possibility
28 with this approach, I think to separate separate users & passwords
29 (for a single auth) between the two boxes. Will VMWare GSX use the ~
30 for the user on the Linux box or for the user on the AD to store its
31 files?
32
33 Personally, I'd have the user exist on the domain or possibly on the
34 Linux box, but not on both.
35
36 Since you say that VMWare GSX Server (which I'm not familiar with)
37 uses PAM it should be possible to get this to authenticate users on
38 either the AD or /etc/passwd OR BOTH. It should be possible to use
39 some other mechanism - possibly group memberships - to restrict
40 VMWare GSX Server log-in rights to or from certain users. Dovecot
41 IMAP, for instance, has a "deny passdb" and also a valid userID
42 range. I would personally consider this kind of approach more elegant.
43
44 I'm not trying to be snobby saying "I wouldn't do it this way", just
45 sorry I can't help. Good luck with it.
46
47 Stroller.
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list