From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc upgrade - rebuild everything?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:08:34
1 >> I just upgraded from gcc-4.4.3-r2 to gcc-4.4.4-r2 and I'm wondering if
2 >> I really need to rebuild everything as it says in the guide:
3 >>
4 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
5 >
6 > No, you do not need to do this. The document is over-reaching (see below)
7 >
8 > I ran a mixture of 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 for ages, completely trouble-free.
9 >
10 >> If not, when is it necessary?
11 >
12 > When you have an ABI change in the code generated by the compiler. In other
13 > words, when code generated by this version is incompatible with code generated
14 > by that version, and you have both on the same system. This has not happened
15 > for a long time in gcc-land.
16 >
17 > Now, about that official doc. Your question comes up with unbelievable
18 > regularity and every time the poster references that doc. But it is not
19 > necessary to do what the doc says, and a long time ago I think I figured it
20 > out.
21 >
22 > The author's intention is less to give you the absolute complete total 100%
23 > truth that will always work out just fine, and more to reduce the amount of
24 > clutter in his inbox or on b.g.o.
25 >
26 > The rules about how to detect when a rebuild of world is needed are complex
27 > and most readers simply will not understand them - they don't understand
28 > compiler internals (how many people DO?). But if you tell people to just
29 > rebuild world every time, and weird funny lurking problems are likely to just
30 > get fixed as a side effect, no real harm is done. Does it hurt the author? No.
31 > Does it reduce the amount of bugs he has to deal with on the rare occasion it
32 > is needed? Yes.
33 >
34 > What does the user lose? Nothing much, more cpu cycles get used, more bits
35 > flip on a disk, your video card gets a work out scrolling all that text. Will
36 > you waste time? Yes. Will you break stuff? No.
37 >
38 > So rebuild world if it makes you feel better. But you don't need to this time.
39 > The authors of gcc will certainly notify the entire world and it's dogs when
40 > you do need to.
41
42 Thank you everyone. I won't rebuild.
43