From: Andrew Randles <ehud42@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with doing a system restore
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:58:54
1 Thanks your reply helped me a lot. That was exactly what I needed.
2 It turns out there are important files in /dev/ that are not
3 dynamically generated.
4
5 Thanks again,
6 Andrew
7
8 On 8/1/05, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
9 > Andrew Randles wrote:
10 >
11 > >Hi everyone I was hoping someone would have suggestion for me.
12 > >
13 > >My hard drive was going bad so I bought a new one and put it in.
14 > >Instead of doing a complete reinstall I used dar and a usb harddrive
15 > >to do a backup of the system. I then used a gentoo live cd (2004.2 or
16 > >3) and to get everything setup and copied over. That worked well and
17 > >up until I had to chroot in and take care of the grub setup.
18 > >
19 > >I keep getting glibc errors with "symbol erron" when I try to run
20 > >env-update, ls or emerge commands.
21 > >
22 > >When I run grub root (hd0,0) it says no such drive or device. My
23 > >/dev/ folder in the chrooted environment is empty.
24 > >
25 > >The system is a 2.6 kernel with 2.6 headers. I wonder if maybe I need
26 > >an updated cd.
27 > >
28 > >Does anyone else have anymore ideas.
32 > A couple of more steps may be necessary before the chroot. Assuming
33 > that your root is mounted on /mnt/root:
34 >
35 > cd /mnt/root
36 > mount --bind /dev dev
37 > mount --bind /proc proc
38 > mount --bind /sys sys
39 > chroot ./ ./bin/bash
40 > mount -a # only if /boot is a separate filesystem
41 > grub-install /dev/hda
42 > umount -a # only if /boot is a separate filesystem
43 > exit
44 > umount dev
45 > umount proc
46 > umount sys