From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seamonkey automatic email download after switch to Oauth2
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 08:54:04
1 On Friday, 3 June 2022 02:45:11 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Early this morning Seamonkey could no longer fetch emails. It wouldn't
5 > accept the username and password. I did some searching and it seems
6 > that Google is disabling plain text username and password. Honestly,
7 > sounds like a good idea really. During my searches, most recommended
8 > OAuth2 so I switched to it.
9
10 Err ... perhaps not? The use of a browser to delegate sign on is not
11 necessarily a good idea, because it introduces layers of complication and with
12 it potential vulnerabilities. Random explainer here:
13
14 https://medium.com/securing/what-is-going-on-with-oauth-2-0-and-why-you-should-not-use-it-for-authentication-5f47597b2611
15
16 I recall some IMAP4 devs complaining about it, but Google pushed on
17 regardless. From the end of May if you want to login to Gmail you have no
18 option but to use OAuth2. I expect this will break some users login if they
19 have not disabled what Google calls "Less secure application access" and
20 shared with Google their mobile phone number and what other *private*
21 information Google wants to know, before it allows you to access your email
22 messages.
25 > After a while, I noticed it wasn't downloading new emails
26 > automatically. I have it set to check for new messages every 10 minutes
27 > or so. I had to hit the Get Msgs button each time. I'd prefer it to do
28 > it automatically. I tried restarting Seamonkey and even changing the
29 > settings for doing it automatically, in case a config file needed
30 > updating after the switch, still doesn't do it automatically. I'm
31 > attaching a screenshot of the settings.
32 >
33 > Does using OAuth2 disable automatically fetching messages or am I
34 > missing some other setting? It worked fine until I switched to OAuth2
35 > so I don't know what else it could be. Is there something better than
36 > OAuth2 that gmail supports? I just picked the first option I found.
37 >
38 > Thoughts??
39
40 The OAuth2 mechanism will refresh exchange of tokens between client and server
41 when they expire, but this should be seamless and transparent to the user. If
42 there is a breakdown in the connection for some time and a token expires, then
43 depending on the mail client it may pop up a window asking for your login
44 credentials to be resubmitted. It does this occasionally on Kmail, but I have
45 not noticed it on T'bird, which I believe is similar/same to the mail client
46 of Seamonkey.
47
48 Checking for emails every so often on a timer, is separate to authentication/
49 authorization. Whether you check for email manually, or after a timer
50 triggers it, OAuth2 will kick in on each occasion as the next step. There may
51 be some bug in Seamonkey. You could try a later version or try T'bird. If
52 that works with the same settings, but Seamonkey doesn't, then by a process of
53 elimination the issue would be with Seamonkey's implementation.
54
55 HTH.