From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:31:16
1 On Wednesday 24 Apr 2013 12:17:26 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 130424 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 05:37:15 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
4 > >> If it's so easy, please point me to a couple (smile).
5 > >
6 > > http://bit.ly/11CZWFM
7 >
8 > Thanks for the pretty video (grin).
9 >
10 > The 1st page of the Google list gives only 2 threads since 2006
11 > & both were hardware problems, ie failing disks, one very old.
12 >
13 > So I continue to believe that Reiser 3 is remarkably reliable,
14 > at least if you don't try running it virtually on itself
15 > or blame hardware problems on the software.
16
17 I'm sure I have posted about my experience with reiserfs a few years back in
18 this list. Incompatible memory modules on a buggy MoBo were causing a *daily*
19 hard crash because of which I had to hard reboot during sync'ing portage.
20 Some days I had to pull the plug twice. Despite these daily crashes caused by
21 the memory problem, for a year and a half I had no fs corruption to speak of
22 (only once or twice I ended up with one or two zero size files). Eventually,
23 I scrapped the PC because the MoBo went to heaven.
24
25 Reiser4 on the other hand had caused me no end of trouble on a laptop,
26 especially as newer kernels were becoming increasing incompatible with it.
27
28 I've been running ext4 for the last 3-4 years and I have not thought of trying
29 anything else for my basic partitioning scheme.
30 --
31 Regards,
32 Mick