From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 09:40:20
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 20 Jul 2013 06:12:40 Dale wrote:
3 >> Bruce Hill wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> If 16GB of RAM wasn't enough, ydiw. I've used that line of 7G forever,
6 >>> and run app-office/libreoffice, as well as firefox and some other big
7 >>> app (forget it's name) and _never_ had a problem.
8 >> Well, a while back, OOo and LOo wanted more than 8Gbs. It wasn't my
9 >> need but what portage looked for. Then someone did some changes and
10 >> reduced that need and it worked. From my understanding, there was some
11 >> code clean up that helped in that. I think it looks for 6Gbs now. From
12 >> the ebuild:
13 >>
14 >> CHECKREQS_MEMORY="512M"
15 >> CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="6G"
16 >>
17 >> It used to be more than that. If it didn't have enough, it stopped.
18 >> Even when I would override that setting, it would still run out of space
19 >> more often than not. As a matter of fact, I still have the command in
20 >> my freq used commands file that I used to fix it:
21 >>
22 >> mount -t tmpfs -o size=12g tmpfs /var/tmp/portage
23 > Does it stop dead or does it start to page into swap?
26 Actually, portage looks for enough space before even starting and still
27 does. However, when I force it to ignore it, it stops and says it ran
28 out of space. I'd just rather it didn't use swap anyway. Either way,
29 OOo and LOo used to need lots of space. I think there was some code
30 cleanup and maybe some other changes that reduced that a lot. I think
31 there was also some gcc changes to but not sure on that.
32
33 I did some more searching after my last post, at one point it looked for
34 at least 12GBs from what I found. That was the largest setting I found.
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!