From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] heat codes
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:54:10
1 Hello,
2
3 I need to monitor this hardware for temperatures, including logging
4 of temperatures, on as wide array of temperaturr sensors that is
5 possible with kernel 3.18.6-gentoo.)
6
7 Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
8 AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (currently clocked at 4 GHz)
9 VGA compatible controller Cape Verde PRO [Radeon HD 7750 / R7 250E]
12 Any there any others?
13 The generic sensor scan stumbled on the radeon card:
14 probe the I2C/SMBus adapters:
15 Using driver `i2c-piix4' for device 0000:00:14.0: ATI Technologies Inc
16 SB600/SB700/SB800 SMBus
17 modprobe: FATAL: Module i2c-piix4 not found.
18 Failed to load module i2c-piix4.
19 Next adapter: Radeon i2c bit bus 0x90 (i2c-0)
20 Do you want to scan it? (yes/NO/selectively): yes
21 {through (i2c-7) all failed.
22
23 So lm_sensors only found these modules:
24
25 MODULE_0=fam15h_power
26 MODULE_1=it87
27 MODULE_2=k10temp
28
29 Does anyone with similar hardware have a more extensive list?
32 What I'd really like is a very fast (real time?) gui to watch
33 these temperatures as certain portions of codes are compile or executed.
34 I'm working with a several classes of algorithms, like systolic-algorithms
35 that push hardware resources, particularly cpu, gpu and ram, to
36 it's limit; therefore the portions of the codes that cause excessive
37 thermal stresses on these hardware resources, are of keen interest to me.
40 A local code that puts significant (heat) stress on a system while
41 compiling, that anyone can test against is, sci-libs/openfoam
42
43 Comment, suggests and web based reading resources are all greatly
44 appreciated. I did find this interesting resource
45
46 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fan_speed_control
49 TIA,
50 James