From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 23:51:00
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:11:24 -0800, ny6p01@×××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 >> Or just import .config into the 'New' directory, and run plain ol' make
5 >> menuconfig. Menuconfig will import what it can from the old config. From
6 >> what I've read of the docs, make oldconfig is the dangerous part that
7 >> should be avoided between substantial kernel updates.
8 >
9 > make oldconfig is not the risk, importing the old config is. oldconfig
10 > tries to convert the old config to suit the new kernel, with a success
11 > rate probably in excess of 99%, despite what has been written about it.
12 >
13 > Using the old .config without make oldconfig is a good way of getting
14 > the worst of both worlds.
19 Of all the upgrades I have done, I have only had make oldconfig fail
20 once. When I posted here, I think it was Alan that said it was a major
21 change in the kernel menu that messed it up. That was a few years ago.
22
23 99% is likely about right. One failure so far and waiting on the next
24 major change in the menu for failure #2.
25
26 Now watch it fail the very next time I use it. O_o
27
28 Dale
29
33 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
34 how you interpreted my words!
35
36 Miss the compile output? Hint:
37 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"