From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting rid of strigi
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 17:58:02
1 On 02/08/16 01:38, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 07 Feb 2016 16:44:55 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> On Sunday 07 February 2016 16:44:50 wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
4 >>> It would be no problem to remove it on my system:
5 >>>
6 >>> emerge -pv --depclean app-misc/strigi
7 >>>
8 >>> Calculating dependencies... done!
9 >>>
10 >>>>>> Calculating removal order...
11 >>>
12 >>>>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
13 >>> app-misc/strigi
14 >>>
15 >>> selected: 0.7.8-r1
16 >>>
17 >>> protected: none
18 >>>
19 >>> omitted: none
20 >>>
21 >>> All selected packages: =app-misc/strigi-0.7.8-r1
22 >>
23 >> Not here. Both kde-base/kdelibs and kde-base/systemsettings require strigi,
24 >> so I'd say the answer to Andrew's question is: you can't do it on a KDE-4
25 >> system.
26 >
27 > But you should be able to stop it from indexing your files. If you go to
28 > systemsettings/Desktop Search you can disable it.
31 That's what I've come to the conclusion I'm going to need to do. This
32 "semantic desktop", for me, is a pile of rubbish. I don't need it and
33 don't want it, but the people at KDE apparently know better my needs
34 than I do so they have embedded this stuff so deep you can't untangle
35 it. It's just more gumpf that gets installed, for no other reason than a
36 developers ego trip.
37
38 Thanks for the comments,
39 Andrew