From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a gentoo guest on virtualbox?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 07:10:11
1 On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 13:56, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3 >> Meh, I clicked 'Send' too fast.
4 >>
5 >> *My* suggested solution:
6 >>
7 >> Generate an initramfs containing udev. The hands-down easiest way is
8 >> using genkernel's 'only create an initramfs' switch (sorry I forgot
9 >> what exactly).
10 >
11 > good god no, please, anything but genkernel.
12 >
13 > That thing is an attempt to emulate binary distros which require an
14 > initramfs to work properly (for any sane definition of "work") as the
15 > person building the installer has no idea what hardware the user will
16 > have. In Gentoo the user knows exactly what they have so there's no
17 > need for a gigantic hardware-detecting workaround at boot time.
18 >
19 >> This needs to be done exactly once throughout the life of your VM.
20 >>
21 >> (To the herd of Gentoo graybeards, feel free to CMIIW)
22 >
23 > Or wait a few days for vapier's (posting under his other name of
24 > spanky) sane advice to be implemented. His proposal is the sole voice
25 > of reason in that bug thread....
28 True. But I was having problem installing 2 servers on top of XenServer.
29
30 So I cheated and ran 'genkernel initramfs' exactly once. At least I
31 got myself a booting system. :-)
32
33 When SpanKY's makedev gets stabilized and pushed to baselayout, I'll
34 then happily ditch the genkernel cheat for my next VMs :-)
35
36 Rgds,
37 --
38 Pandu E Poluan