From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: How about the gentoo server or cluster in production environment?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:36:47
1 On 02/20/2014 12:53 AM, Facundo Curti wrote:
2 > I think a "more stable" distro is better for production. My choice is
3 > debian. I think you cant find nothing more stable that debian...
4 >
5 > >Gentoo makes the best server os because it's a custom built os where
6 > the admin knows each and every aspect of the os.
7 >
8 > This is true, but gentoo is a little unstable to use on production.
9 > The system must be on 365 days/year. ¿and when you need to update the
10 > system? This will use all the processor and the system will be
11 > overloaded. This means users can't use the system when this is updating...
12 >
13 the advantage of clustering servers though is you can take one out and
14 update it. if you use a distributed compliation [1] and tell portage
15 to keep the binaries [2] you can take a few out and do them together,
16 then the remainder do not require compilation as the compile has been done.
17
18 > I think the best for a server is debian. I didn't try red hat but I
19 > see this like a commercial distro :/ Any way, red hat is very used as
20 > server. And if you choice to pay, you will have official support
21 > (Other wise, you are alone :/)
22 >
23 many of the cluster tools and services are actually written by redhat so
24 there is no surprise that there is much better integration.
25 however i would much rather put gentoo in a public facing domain where
26 you need the latest security patches always.
27 getting clustering to work with gentoo can be a bit of a pain if you are
28 just feeling your way
29
30 the big question really is what is the purpose of your cluster ?
31 shared database load?
32 load balanced web servers?
33 distributed file system?
34 distributed multi system multi cpu calculations?
35 distributed fast memory cache ?
36
37 each thing has a different set of tools and management thereof.
38 > P.D: I'm sorry if my english is not perfect, i speak spanish
41 > 2014-02-19 21:36 GMT-03:00 Franklin Wang <touch21st@×××××.com