From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 16:42:29
1 On Sun, 2019-02-03 at 23:47 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 +AD4-
3 +AD4-
4 +AD4- How do you, especially those who admin systems that are always being
5 +AD4- hacked at, generate strong passwords that meet the above? I've
6 +AD4- googled
7 +AD4- and found some ideas but if I use the same method, well, how many
8 +AD4- others
9 +AD4- are using that same method, if you know what I mean. +ADs--) Just
10 +AD4- looking
11 +AD4- for ideas.
12 +AD4-
13 +AD4- Thanks much.
14 +AD4-
15 +AD4- Dale
16 +AD4-
17 +AD4- :-) :-)
18 +AD4-
19 +AD4- P. S. I haven't had time to deal with the video thing in previous
20 +AD4- thread. It's on my todo list still. :-(
21 +AD4-
22
23 Take 80 to 100 characters of something you already have memorized.
24 Poetry, bible verses, RFCs, pages of the phone book, digits of pi out
25 of the middle, whatever. Run it through a transposition, substitution,
26 or combination cipher that you can calculate in your head on-the-fly.
27 (Do avoid the substitutions that everyone uses since those will be
28 tried first.)
29
30 Now you only need to remember a pointer to the memorized section, the
31 length, and the cipher specification. There are enough possible
32 combinations that an attacker won't be able to make a meaningful
33 reduction in entropy by examining your social media.
34
35 As an example: The second paragraph of Hamlet's soliloquy and invert
36 the case based on whether the corresponding digit of e is odd or even.
37
38 LMP